Pandora.com is honestly the best thing in recent history to happen to me. I've had a pandora account for years and one station that never played anything that I liked. I thought the Music Genome Project was one of the biggest failures and that there was no way to sufficiently catalogue music in order to create playlist based on one person's musical taste. Oh was I wrong. I had the idea of pairing music-map.com with Pandora radio and creating stations with bands that I didn't know but that music map said that I would like and putting all of those into the definition of my station. Worked like a charm! I always wondered how the indie hipster kids learned about all this cool obscure music that they would gift to me in the form of burned CDs with edgy art drawn on top with a sharpie marker. I think my favorite find so far is a band called Mono who from what I've heard so far is the Japanese equivalent of Explosions in the Sky and if that doesn't mean anything to you, it should. They are amazing!
The world is large and wonderful and there is so much out there that can't be reached if you're not looking for it. There is so much comfortable music out there. Like cheeseburgers and fries, it's easy to get but it's not the best. I like my music with a sushi flair, spiced with wasabi and a hint of ginger on the side. If you cut it the wrong way it might kill you, or at least change your mind forever.
If you're on pandora look for "Indie Ambient Radio" or "Grrl Power! Radio." Or just ask me and I'll share them with you. =)
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment